Friday, November 1, 2013

103013: The Trinity -- God the Holy Spirit



Message: God the Holy Spirit
I.                    Introduction
a.       We are finishing up talking about the three persons of the trinity this week by looking at the third member (God the Holy Spirit) 
b.      Exodus 17:8-13 – “The Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites at Rephidim.  Moses said to Joshua, ‘Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites.  Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands.’  So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill.  As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning.  When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it.  Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other till sunset.  So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.”
II.                 Body
a.       We live in a country that values the individual, showing vulnerability and weakness or a need for others is frowned upon.
b.      Why couldn’t Moses just do this on his own, was he not man enough?
                                                             a.      No he wasn’t man enough, but he recognized he didn’t have the strength and that he couldn’t get it done on his own, and turned to others for help. 
                                                            b.      It wasn’t something to embarrassed by, showing vulnerability and weakness is the only way to receive the help we need.
c.       Karl Marx said that religion was a crutch for weak minded people.  Some view Christianity this way, a crutch.  Funny thing about crutches, they actually help us when we need them…and we need one if we are going to make it through this life.
d.      John 14:16-17 – “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth.  The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.  I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
                                                             a.      Jesus is talking about the Holy Spirit here, he refers to him as the Counselor.  The word in greek is Paracletos.  It is a word used for a person who would come up alongside someone else and help them.  Usually this was used in a legal sense, they were an advocate.  But it would be like anyone would come and put their arm around you and walked with you.
                                                            b.      If you needed someone to hold you up, they would.  If you needed someone to defend you, they would.  If they needed someone to talk to, they were there.  If you needed someone to tell you that the way you were going was the wrong way, they would try to keep you on the right path.  If you needed strength, he would provide it.  If you were sad, he would help bring you peace.
III.               Conclusion
a.       Emma was born on July 20th, 2009.  I had no idea what I was getting into.  In the first few days I said up 35 straight hours and then 30 straight hours.  I was exhausted.  We made it home and my mom helped out for a while, but then after she left it was just Lacey and I and Emma.  Emma cried, Lacey cried, I don’t cry.  It is a hard transition to be a parent.  Emma would cry and I had no idea what was wrong.  We would feed her, she would cry, we would change her, she would cry.  I was getting very little sleep, and finally one night I broke.  I went into the bathroom, turned on the fan, and bawled.  I finally looked in the mirror and prayed, “God I can’t do this, I can’t handle this, I don’t have the strength.”  Then I went back out and took Emma in my arms.  I didn’t have the strength, but God did, but it wasn’t until I admitted that I couldn’t do it alone and allowed him to be my strength that I found the strength I needed.
b.      We need the Holy Spirit in our life.  Because we can’t make it on our own.  We need him to walk beside us.
c.       Is there anyone here that would like to admit that they need the Holy Spirit because they need someone to give the strength?
d.      Is there anyone here that would like to admit that they need the Holy Spirit because they need comfort?
e.       Is there anyone here that would like to admit that they need the Holy Spirit because they need guidance?
f.        Pray

No comments:

Post a Comment