Monday, February 17, 2014

021214: What Have You Done To Me?



Message: What Have You Done To Me?
I.                    Introduction
a.       Our goal this year is to see you get more rooted in Christ as we grow together
b.      One way we are doing this rooting is through sermons about questions found in the Bible.
II.                 Body
a.      How many of you have ever been hurt by a choice that someone else made?  Some of you have been hurt by a parent who chose to abuse you, some of you have been hurt by someone considered a friend lied to you.  Your life changed because someone else did something. 
b.      Illus: Add Food Coloring to Water, Add Water to Water
c.       Tonight’s story has everything to do with that, so let’s read it:
d.      Genesis 20:1-18 – “Now Abraham moved on from there into the region of the Negev and lived between Kadesh and Shur.  For a  while he stayed in Gerar, and there Abraham said of his wife Sarah, “She is my sister.”  Then Abimelech king of Gerar sent for Sarah and took her.  But God came to Abimelech in a dream one night and said to him, “You are as good as dead because of the woman you have taken; she is a married woman.”  Now Abimelech had not gone near her, so he said, “Lord, will you destroy an innocent nation?  Did he not say to me, ‘She is my sister,’ and didn’t she say, ‘He is my brother’?  I have done this with a clear conscience and clean hands.”  Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience and so I have kept you from sinning against me.  That is why I did not let you touch her.  Now return the man’s wife, for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you will live.  But if you do not return her, you may be sure that you and all yours will die.”  Early the next morning Abimelech summoned all his officials, and when he told them all that had happened, they were very much afraid.  Then Abimelech called Abraham in and said, “What have you done to us?  How have I wronged you that you have brought such great guilt upon me and my kingdom?  You have done things to me that should not be done.  And Abimelech asked Abraham, “What was your reason for doing this?”  Abraham replied, “I said to myself, ‘There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.’  Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father through not of my mother; and she became my wife.  And when God had me wander from my father’s household, I said to her, ‘This is how you can show your love for me: Everywhere we go, say of me, “He is my brother.”’”  Then Abimelech brought sheep and cattle and male and female slaves and gave them to Abraham, and he returned Sarah his wife to him.  And Abimelech said, “My land is before you; live wherever you like.”  To Sarah he said, “I am giving your brother a thousand shekels of silver.  This is to cover the offense against you before all who are with you; you are completely vindicated.”  Then Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech, his wife and his slave girls so they could have children again, for the Lord had closed up every womb in Abimelech’s household because of Abraham’s wife Sarah.”
e.       The question of the night is: What have you done to us?
                                                             a.      The answer isn’t all that important on this one, but rather the principle it teaches us is: Our sins hurt others, not just ourselves
f.       Sin’s Solution
                                                             a.      Just briefly I wanted to make sure I made this statement.  Our sin separates us from a close relationship with God and can only ultimately be solved when we admit our sin to God and ask him for forgiveness.
                                                            b.      This forgiveness is only possible because Jesus died, taking our sins upon himself and giving us grace (something good we don’t deserve) in this case forgiveness.
                                                             c.      Until you have dealt with the sin you have committed between you and God, you won’t make any headway finding healing in your life or your relationships with those you have hurt with your sin.
g.       Our Sin Hurts Others, Not Just Ourselves
                                                             a.      In the story, Abraham and Sarah lie: saying they were just brother and sister…but leaving out they were only half-siblings and married, is a lie of omission.
                                                            b.      That sin did two things, and our sin does the same two things to others:
                                                                                i.      Can lead others to sin (Abimelech almost committed adultery)
a.       If others see you doing it they can be drawn into doing it, you are making it normal for them.  Think about yourself, when you hear about something over and over again, it seems like it is the normal thing, so you start doing it as well.  Cussing works this way.
                                                                              ii.      Hurts other’s lives (Abimelech almost dies, the women of the kingdom are not allowed to have children, Abimelech must pay off to assure people that he didn’t touch her)
a.       If you sin, it isn’t a private moment that only effects you, it makes an impact on those around you and even those you might not know about being effected.  It is like the opening video, one thing hits another, hits another, until paint is finally sprayed all over someone.
III.               Conclusion
a.       So what do we do when we sin and it hurts someone else?
                                                             a.      Admit: To yourself, to God, and to them.  Tell the truth, don’t make excuses.
                                                            b.      Ask: For forgiveness, you were the one who made the choice, even if you feel like you were “justified, pushed into, etc…”  You still made the choice
                                                             c.      Atone: Make amends for what you have done, if you stole something repay it, ask them what you can do to pay them back, to make things right.

No comments:

Post a Comment