Friday, March 7, 2014

030514: Who Are You?



Message: Who Are You?
I.                    Introduction
a.       Our goal this year is to see you get more rooted in Christ as we grow together
b.       One way we are doing this rooting is through sermons about questions found in the Bible.
II.                 Body
a.       Read John 1:19-23 – “Now this was John’s testimony when the Jews of Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask hi who he was.  He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, “I am not the Christ.”  They asked him, “Then who are you?  Are you Elijah?”  He said, “I am not.”  “Are you the Prophet?”  He answered, “No.”  Finally they said, “Who are you?  Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us.  What do you say about yourself?”  John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, “I am the voice of one calling in the desert, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord.’””
b.       John
                                                             a.      The question of the night is: “Who are you?”
                                                             b.      John knew he wasn’t the Christ, wasn’t Elijah, and wasn’t The Prophet
                                                                                 i.      He knew he wasn’t any of these, nor was he willing to allow others to say he was or force him to be that person
                                                             c.      John knew who he was
                                                                                 i.      He didn’t define who he was by what he looked like, by who his family was, by how much money he had, by where he lived, by how he dressed, by what he ate
                                                                               ii.      Instead he defines himself using a scripture passage, he decides that it isn’t up to him to define who he is or what he is to do in his life, but rather it is up to God to define those things
                                                                              iii.      Why?  God knows you, he created you, he knows who you were, who you are, and who you will be, and he knows why he created you, why you are here and what you are to do.  He knows these things better than anyone else, even you.
c.       Me
                                                             a.      The question of the night is: “Who are you?”
                                                                                 i.      I know who I am not: Not Tony Compalo (wanted to be him, wanted to speak like him, but I am not him); Not Gordo (youth leader calling me fat)
a.       When I try to define myself I was wrong, when I allow others to try to define me it was wrong.
b.       Neither knew me well enough, I focused on who I thought I wanted to be, not on who I actually was, others focused on who they thought I was but could only see the superficial, nor could they see what I was created to be.
                                                                               ii.      I know who I am
a.       During that same weekend I was reminded by God that I would never be Tony Comaplo but that  he had called me to be a pastor, and I was to be who I was as a pastor not who Tony was as a pastor.
b.       But if you were to ask me who I am I would read from Numbers 16.  In the passage Israel has rebelled once again, God sends a plague among them and Aaron (the high priest) runs out into the place where people are dying with an offering.  47b-48 says, “Aaron offered the incense and made atonement for them.  He stood between the living and the dead, and the plague stopped.”
c.       I believe this is what God has called me to do, carrying Christ to the place where people are dying (spiritually speaking) and offering them a chance to escape the plague that is going to otherwise consume them.
d.       Who I am is defined by God and His word, because he knows me, he knows who I was, who I am, and who I will be.  He knows these things better than anyone else
III.               Conclusion
a.       You
                                                             a.      You need to figure out who you are not
                                                                                 i.      Don’t try to define who you are and what you are to do, you don’t have enough information
                                                                               ii.      Don’t let others define who you are and what you are to do, they don’t have enough information
                                                             b.      You need to figure out who you are
                                                                                 i.      Allow God to define who you are and what you are called to do
                                                                               ii.      He knows you, he knows who you were, who you are, and who you will be.  He knows these things better than anyone else.
                                                                              iii.      The best way to figure out who God says you are and what you are called to…spend time with him and listen.  Read your bible, pray, meditate on his word, spend time in silence or solitude,
b.       Are there any of you here tonight that have been defining who you are or allowing others to do so, but want to allow God to do so?  Pray

No comments:

Post a Comment